Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Condom Negotiation

It can be difficult to talk about using condoms. But you shouldn't let embarrassment become a health risk. The person you are thinking about having sex with may not agree at first when you say that you want to use a condom when you have sex. These are some comments that might be made and some answers that you could try...

EXCUSE ANSWER

Don't you trust me? - Trust isn't the point, people can have infections without realising it.

It does not feel as good with a condom - I'll feel more relaxed, If I am more relaxed, I can make it feel better for you.
I don't stay hard when I put on a condom - I'll help you put it on, that will help you keep it hard.

I am afraid to ask him to use a condom. He'll think I don't trust him. - If you can't ask him, you probably don't trust him.

I can't feel a thing when I wear a condom - Maybe that way you'll last even longer and that will make up for it

I don't have a condom with me - I do

It's up to him... it's his decision - It's your health. It should be your decision too!

I'm on the pill, you don't need a condom - I'd like to use it anyway. It will help to protect us from infections we may not realise we have.

It just isn't as sensitive and I can't feel a thing - Maybe that way you will last even longer and that will make up for it.

Putting it on interrupts everything - Not if I help put it on

I guess you don't really love me - I do, but I am not risking my future to prove it.

I will pull out in time - I can get STDs from pre-ejaculate

But I love you - Then you'll help us to protect ourselves.

Just this once - Once is all it takes.

There are many reasons to use condoms when having sex. You could go through these reasons with your partner and see what she/he thinks.

Reasons to use condoms
  • Condoms are the only contraceptive that help prevent both pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (including HIV) when used properly and consistently
  • Condoms are one of the most reliable methods of birth control when use properly and consistently.
  • Condoms have none of the medical side-effects of some other birth control methods may have.
  • Condoms are available in various shapes, colours, flavours, textures and sizes - to increase the fun of making love with condoms.
  • Condoms are widely available in pharmacies, supermarkets and convenience stores. You don't need a prescription or have to visit a doctor.
  • Condoms make sex less messy.
  • Condoms are user friendly. With a little practice, they can also add confidence to the enjoyment of sex.
  • Condoms are only needed when you are having sex unlike some other contraceptives which require you to take or have them all of the time.

Here are also some tips that can help you to feel more confident and relaxed about using condoms.
Confidence tips


Keep condoms handy at all times. If things start getting steamy - you'll be ready. It's not a good idea to find yourself having to rush out at the crucial moment to buy condoms - at the height of the passion you may not want to.
When you buy condoms, don't get embarrassed. If anything, be proud. It shows that you are responsible and confident and when the time comes it will all be worthwhile. It can be more fun to go shopping for condoms with your partner or friend. Nowadays, it is also easy to buy condoms discreetly on the internet.
Talk with your partner about using a condom before having sex. It removes anxiety and embarrassment. Knowing where you both stand before the passion stands will make you lot more confident that you both agree and are happy about using a condom.
If you are new to condoms, the best way to learn how to use them is to practice putting them on by yourself or your partner. It does not take long to become a master.
If you feel that condoms interrupt you passion then try introducing condoms into your lovemaking. It can be really sexy if your partner helps you put it on or you do it together.

No comments: